We have 2 Apprenticeships on offer, 1 each in our shop and cafe.
The Qualification which you could gain are also open for discussion with the successful candidate, and include NVQ Level 2 (or higher if applicable) in Retail, Hospitality, Food Preparation and Cooking or a BTEC Level 2 Diploma in Customer Service.
Training can be offered through either South Tyneside Council or Sunderland College – which ever the successful candidate prefers! Full details about apprentices can also be found on the National Apprenticeship Website
We are looking for
- A dynamic and friendly person who wants to learn all about how to take great care in customer service AND how to prepare and present mouth-watering food – whilst working to our standard of excellent food safety.
- Someone who will thrive in a busy environment and can adapt their role according to the business needs.
- You must be flexible and happy to help out with all tasks as needed.
- You must be interested in seafood.
- You need to be able to effectively communicate with the rest of our team and the public and have effective use of time – being able to think ahead and under pressure.
- A good work ethic, friendly personality, flexibility and interest in working within the food industry are the keys to securing this apprenticeship at Latimers Seafood Deli and Cafe
Duties will include
- Food Prep, cooking and service
- Serving customers
- Making proper coffee
- Helping in the Deli side of the business as needed
- We are looking for a hard working and likeable character to join our well established fishmongering team here at Latimers
- A good sense of humour and a good work ethic are very important
- Academic Qualifications are not necessarily required – the right attitude, willingness to learn new skills, honesty and nice personality are considered of greater importance for this job
- You must like and be interested in fish, seafood and shellfish
- As Latimer’s is a small family business all staff have to help out wherever and whatever is needed, so you must be flexible and a good time keeper
- To learn the art of fishmongering;
- how to fillet and prepare all kinds of fish
- fish identification
- preparing and cooking shellfish – crab, lobsters, winkles, langoustines etc
- learn the skills of smoking fish
- Pickling cockles, mussels and whelks
- To learn the different aspects of food safety associated with fish and shellfish and to safely carry out your duties, protecting yourself, other members of staff and very importantly our customers
- To serve customers your fish. You must learn to be able to advise customers on how to prepare their fish, different ways to cook it, offer recipe advice – therefore you must be genuinely interested in finding out this information and eating seafood yourself. We must be able to trust you to handle cash and card transactions.
The Qualification and Training for both positions
All aspects of the training will be decided with the successful candidate according to what will work best for them – we are most interested in finding the right person for our job!
Hours & Wage
30-40hrs per week depending on how busy we are – this includes study time
National minimum wage as set by the National Apprenticeship Scheme. For more information about Apprenticeships please visit their website.
Expected Duration – 12-18 months.
Latimers Seafood Deli and Cafe is an award winning, family run business based on a stunning site overlooking the sea in the pretty coastal village of Whitburn, South Tyneside.
Latimers are renowned for their superb variety of fresh, local fish and shellfish – to complement their seafood deli they opened their seafood cafe at the start of the summer, and are now looking for an apprentice to add to their cafe team.
The cafe uses the best local seafood, serves delicious homemade cakes and scones and does great coffee and hot chocolates – our apprentice will learn how we make all that happen – great skills for someone wanting a future in the food industry.
This role will involve working at least one day every weekend
You maybe expected to work at evening events – at the moment this is 1-2 times a month. 8am starts will be required, you will have to be at work on time!
Good News – We close Christmas, Boxing and New Years Day – so you won’t be working on those days!
Download and complete our application form to return by email: Latimers Job Application form (Computer completion)
Download Application form as a PDF and return by hand / post: Job Application Form
Or collect one from our shop
Return Application Forms:
- By hand
- By email email@example.com
- By post:
Mrs Ailsa Latimer
Latimers Seafood Ltd
Tyne and Wear
Many thanks for your interest in working with us, due to high numbers of applications we will only be in contact with candidates we wish to interview.
Good Luck & Best Fishes!