Team Leader: Café Front of House
Experienced Cafe Staff: Front of House
Apprenticeships: Shop Assistant, Cafe Assistant
Experienced Staff – Café Front of House
We are looking for:
• A dynamic and friendly person who can take great care in customer service by running the front of house and floor.
• Someone who can prepare and present mouth-watering food, WHILST working to our standard of excellent food safety. However if you don’t have kitchen experience please don’t let that put you off applying!
• Someone who will thrive in a busy environment – 8 hours on your feet…
• You must be willing to work with seafood!
• With a good work ethic & friendly personality
• The fact that your career is working within the food industry is the key to securing this job
• You must be able to work all weekends, but the good news is we are rarely opening in the evening!
Team Leader – Cafe Front of House
- All of the above plus:
- Proven track record of leading / managing a team
- Ideally you will be working at a senior level or be ready to step up to a senior role.
Information about part time hours
For the right candidate we can consider part time hours. We need to cover our busy lunch time periods, so could offer shifts from 11am-3pm during both the week and weekends. We can also offer flexible roles – where your hours fit the needs of the business.
Cafe & Shop Apprenticeship Opportunities
• These are full-time positions
• Salary: starting at the national minimum set wage for apprentices
• Training and assessments will be carried out in house and also by a local college to gain your qualification
• The qualification and training provided are still to be confirmed, is flexible – and will be decided with the successful candidate
• We are looking for a hard working and likeable character to join our well established fishmongering team here at Latimers
• A good sense of humour and a good work ethic are very important
• Academic Qualifications are not necessarily required – the right attitude, willingness to learn new skills, honesty and nice personality are considered of greater importance for this job
• You must like and be interested in fish, seafood and shellfish
• As Latimer’s is a small family business all staff have to help out wherever and whatever is needed, so you must be flexible and a good time keeper
• To serve customers. You must learn to be able to advise customers on how to prepare their fish, different ways to cook it, offer recipe advice – therefore you must be genuinely interested in finding out this information and eating seafood yourself. We must be able to trust you to handle cash and card transactions.
• To learn the art of fishmongering;
o how to fillet and prepare all kinds of fish
o fish identification
o preparing and cooking shellfish – crab, lobsters, winkles, langoustines etc
o learn the skills of smoking fish
o Pickling cockles, mussels and whelks
• To learn the different aspects of food safety associated with fish and shellfish and to safely carry out your duties, protecting yourself, other members of staff and very importantly our customers
We are looking for
• A dynamic and friendly person who wants to learn all about how to take great care in customer service AND how to prepare and present mouth-watering food – whilst working to our standard of excellent food safety.
• Someone who will thrive in a busy environment and can adapt their role according to the business needs.
• You must be flexible and happy to help out with all tasks as needed.
• You must be interested in seafood.
• You need to be able to effectively communicate with the rest of our team and the public and have effective use of time – being able to think ahead and under pressure.
• A good work ethic, friendly personality, flexibility and interest in working within the food industry are the keys to securing this apprenticeship at Latimers Seafood Deli and Cafe
Duties will include
• Food Prep, cooking and service
• Serving customers
• Making proper coffee
• Helping in the Deli side of the business as needed
The Qualification and Training
The NVQ qualification can either be in Customer Service or Catering at Level 2 or 3 and the training will be provided by a local college.
All aspects of the training will be decided with the successful candidate according to what will work best for them – we are most interested in finding the right person for our job!
Hours & Wage
30-40hrs per week depending on how busy we are – this includes study time
National minimum wage as set by the National Apprenticeship Scheme.
Expected Duration – 12-18 months.
For more information about our apprenticeship please contact:
Employment Engagement Advisor
South Tyneside College
Telephone: 0191 427 3700 / 07747 461 209
About us & information about all of these roles:
Latimers Seafood Deli and Cafe is an award winning, family run business based on a stunning site overlooking the sea in the pretty coastal village of Whitburn, South Tyneside.
Latimers are renowned for their superb variety of fresh, local fish and shellfish – to complement their seafood deli they opened their seafood cafe at the start of the summer, and are now looking for an apprentice to add to their cafe team.
The cafe uses the best local seafood, serves delicious homemade cakes and scones and does great coffee and hot chocolates – our apprentice will learn how we make all that happen – great skills for someone wanting a future in the food industry.
• All of these roles will involve working at weekends and 5 out of the 8 bank holidays.
• You may be expected to work in the evenings at events.
• Normal opening hours 8am-6pm Tuesday – Sunday and also on Mondays during School Holidays
• Whitburn is on the coast between South Shields and Sunderland. There is a bus route that passes outside our door that links to South Shields, Sunderland and Seaburn Metro Station
• Fantastic atmosphere and working environment
• Working for a local family business, which supports our local economy
• Full training, including food hygiene, health and safety as standard
• Pension scheme
• Lunch provided at weekends
• Free parking
• Opportunity to join our coastal rowing team and row our St Ayles Skiff “Latimers Ledja” in competitions all over the country!
- Complete our application form
- Application forms are available:
• to collect from our shop
• to download Latimers Job Application form (Computer completion) or as a PDF Job Application Form
- Application forms are available:
- Return Application Forms:
• By hand
• By email email@example.com
• By post: Mrs Ailsa Latimer, Re: Vacancies, Latimers Seafood Ltd, Bents Road, Whitburn, Tyne and Wear, SR6 7NT
Many thanks for your interest in working with us
Due to high numbers of applications we will only be in contact with candidates we wish to interview.
Good Luck & Best Fishes!