We’re looking for a talented and enthusiastic person with an avid interest in food. Although ideally you will have experience with seafood or as a fishmonger, a love of fish and seafood or a passion to learn about it is more important, as we can teach you all you need to know.
Our team leader plays a key role in ensuring that our shop is run in an efficient and professional manner, so you must be ready to take on the role of supervising our team of up to 12 staff and will be accountable to run the business day to day alongside our excellent assistant manager and also with owner Robert Latimer.
You should be confident and competent in this environment and must have a proven track record of impeccable customer service.
Main duties and responsibilities
• Assist in leading and inspiring the team on a daily basis ensuring they are fully briefed of what needs to be achieved and make sure that they achieve it!
• Continually building upon company and product knowledge & ensure the team are kept up to date and informed on all products.
• We fillet, boil, dress, prepare, smoke and pickle a massive array of seafood, you will need to become an expert in these roles (we can give you all the training you need).
• Be a good role model, demonstrate the best possible level of customer service and ensure our customers receive it from everyone at all times.
• Deal effectively with customer queries and complaints
• Ensure adherence to our very high standards of food safety, becoming an expert in our HACCP
• Make certain all retail and preparation areas clean, tidy and well presented.
• Highlight any products which are running low and make sure they are re-ordered.
• Stock control; rotation, restock and remerchandise the store
• Handle cash and card transactions in a safe and secure manner.
• Overseeing the safety and security of colleagues and the public, ensuring correct use of PPE and following health and safety guidelines
• You must be regularly available and prepared to work at weekends & bank holidays
• Latimers is a fast paced, busy and physical work place, you must be able to cope well with 8+ hours on your feet!
• We expect all of our staff to be hardworking, committed, enthusiastic, professional and have great time-keeping skills
• Normal opening hours 8am-6pm Tuesday – Sunday and also on Mondays during School Holidays
• We are open on all bank holidays except Christmas, Boxing and New Years Day
• As well as joining an experienced and brilliant team, you’ll have the opportunity to visit the fish quays, meet our fisherman and see all aspects of our business.
• Good career development opportunities
• Fantastic atmosphere and working environment
• A chance to be part of an established, local, family business which supports our local economy
• Full training, including food hygiene, health and safety as standard
• Pension scheme
• 28 days paid holiday per year
• Lunch provided at weekends
• Free parking
• Opportunity to join our coastal rowing team and row our St Ayles Skiff “Latimers Ledja” in competitions all over the country!
• Salary, negotiable
• Annual bonus opportunity
Latimers Seafood is a successful and award winning fishmonger and cafe business, our accolades include 2015 Fishmonger of the Year, BBC Radio 4 Food and Farming Awards, Independent Seafood Retailer and 5 star food hygiene rating.
We are situated right on the beach in the pretty coastal village of Whitburn, in South Tyneside. We have been successfully trading and growing the business year on year since 2002.
So after reading that and you think you’d enjoy working with us, please complete our application form:
Collect one from our shop
Or download a PDF Job Application Form to hand complete and drop back to us
Or download a digital version Latimers Job Application form (Computer completion) and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
Or pop into the post:
Mrs Ailsa Latimer
Tyne and Wear
Many thanks for your interest in working with us, due to high numbers of applications we will only be in contact with candidates we wish to interview.
Good Luck & Best Fishes!