A classic vongole for four hungry folk!
- 1kg clams
- 350g of spaghetti
- 3 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1/2 red chilli, deseeded and finely diced
- Small glass of white wine
- 1 handful of parsley, chopped
- Cook the spaghetti, until its al dente.
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan with a lid. Gently sauté the garlic slices and fresh chilli until soft but not coloured.
- Add the clams to the pan followed by the white wine. Turn up the heat and cover with a lid.
- Shake the pan every 20 seconds or so, after a couple of minutes the clams should be cooked – you know because they have opened up. Take the pan off the heat and discard any clams which haven’t opened.
- Drain the pasta – keeping some of the cooking liquid, Toss the spaghetti through the white wine and clam sauce until well-coated, adding some of the reserved cooking water if needed.
- Stir through the fresh parsley and leave for a minute or two for the pasta to absorb the flavours. Serve with a crisp glass of white wine.
Perfect on a summers evening!