by Mat Follas from Fish, Delicious Recipes for Fish & Shellfish (Ryland, Peters & Small)
Prep time 10 mins
Cooking time 1½ hrs
2 leeks, sliced into 1cm rounds
100g/7 tbsp butter, diced plus extra for frying
A small bunch of fresh marjoram
1 tsp Dijon mustard
Salt & freshly ground black pepper
2 whole lemon sole (each about 600g / 21oz) filleted
200g brown shrimps
- Preheat the oven to 140C/gas 1.
- Spread the sliced leeks on a baking sheet & cover with the diced butter, marjoram sprigs & mustard, & season with a pinch of salt. Cover with foil & bake in the preheated oven for 1½ hrs.
- Heat a little butter in a large frying pan/skillet set over a medium heat, until just foaming.
- Lightly sprinkle salt on the lemon sole fillets, then carefully place them skin-side down in the pan) place them in the pan away from you so that the oil doesn’t splash & burn you).
- Apply a little pressure initially using the flat blade of a fish slice to stop them curling up.
- Once all the fillets are in the pan, turn the heat down & continue cooking until the meat has become two-thirds opaque.
- Add the shrimps & capers & cover. Continue to cook for another minute until the fillets are cooked through – they should be crisp on the skin-side & just cooked through on top.
- To serve, place a generous portion of the baked leeks on a plate, place the fillets on top & dress with the shrimps & capers & some of the sauce from the pan.